Master, Bachelor and Exchange students VU
The VU University Amsterdam (VU) reserved rooms and appartements for their international students and guests. The rooms are offered via DUWO.nl and ROOM.nl.
The VU has reserved rooms at Uilenstede, Eerste Ringdijkstraat, Pierre Lallementstraat, Boelelaan/Groningenstraat,Cornelis Lelylaan and Krelis Louwenstraat.
The rooms at the Eerste Ringdijkstraat, Pierre Lallementstraat and Krelis Louwenstraat, have their own kitchen, shower and toilet.
At Uilenstede there are different types of rooms. Some rooms have their own kitchen, shower and toilet. But there are also rooms with shared kitchen and sometimes shared shower and toilet.
All rooms are fully furnished. A bed linen set and a kitchen set will be waiting for you when you arrive. At Uilenstede, most shared kitchens are equipped with a shared kitchen inventory. On the inventory list you can see what furniture is available in your room.
Please note: In the summer of 2019 the west wing of this building (The Green Tower) will be renovated. Rooms that start with the following unit numbers will have a shorter contract: 174, 178, 182, 186, 190, 194, 198, 202, 206, 210, 214, 218, 222, 224. Contracts start on 26-08-2019 instead of 16-8-2019.
What do I need to do to get a room?
Follow the steps below, but please read the 'Additional conditions' as well.
- To sign up, you can apply for housing through your educational institution’s website
- Once the educational institution has sent its agreement, you will receive an email to activate your DUWO account or ROOM account. Activate your account.
- Log in and book a room. If you get a room allocated to you, you can skip this step
- Upload the requested documents. Once your documents have been approved by DUWO, you will receive an email to sign your contract online.
- Before you can sign the contract, you will need to pay the first bill. This payment is part of the digital signing of your contract.
You must make the first payment before signing the tenancy agreement. This payment consists of the rent for the first month (or the first month-and-a-half), the reservation/handling fee and the rent for the final 2 months. You pay this first bill via DUWO online.
DUWO must receive this first payment no later than 2 weeks after your documents have been approved.
Is your educational institution paying for you? Then you do not have to pay this first bill and you can sign your contract immediately via DUWO online.
Once you have digitally signed your contract, you will get an email with your tenancy agreement as a .pdf file. DUWO only hands over the keys after the contract has been signed. So please make sure your contract is signed before the starting date.