If you are temporarily going to study or do an internship in a different city, you can have someone else live in your student room during that period. If you are living in non-self-contained housing or a student room, this is called subletting. Are you renting a self-contained student residence? You cannot then sublet your home. However, you are allowed to have someone else housesit for you. This is called residence stewardship. You can request permission voor subletting through your DUWO account.
For Accommodate tenants different conditions are applicable.
Can I sublet my room?
You can sublet your room when you meet the following conditions:
- You are a good tenant. For example, you may not be in rent arrears or have caused unnecessary nuisance in the past.
- You have rented your room from DUWO for at least 6 months.
- Your tenancy agreement has not been terminated.
- Did you sign a campus contract for your student room? In that case, you must continue studying during the entire period of the sublet.
- You have not sublet your room in the past 12 months.
What else do I need to know if I want to sublet my room?
- You can apply for a sublet on our website at least one month before the date the sublet period starts. If you want to apply for subletting less than one month in advance, please fill in a contact form. We will see what we can do for you.
- You may sublet your student room for a minimum of 2 months and a maximum of 6 months.
- You may extend the period of subletting one time for up to 6 months. This is only allowed if your absence is study-related (e.g. an internship or a student exchange). You must be able to demonstrate this in writing. Fill out a contact form and attach a form of proof. You must request the extension before the first period of subletting expires.
- Would you like to sublet your room again at a later time? You can only do so after 12 months following the expiry of the previous subletting period.
- The sublet will only take effect once DUWO has approved your request.
To whom may I sublet my room?
- The subtenant must be a fulltime student and study or do an internship in the neighbourhood of your room. This may also be a PhD student.
- The subtenant or residence steward does not need to meet the conditions of the priority scheme. The priority scheme does not apply to sublet or residence stewardship.
Effect of subletting on rent allowance
Keep in mind that subletting your room may have consequences for your rent allowance. Please visit the website of the Dutch Tax Authorities Belastingdienst for information about rent allowance and subletting.